Monday 16 November 2009

Reflections, actual and metaphorical

Reflections on work
I finally got to put the finishing touches to my wallhangings.I tidied them up and they began to look quite strong and effective.

Wall hangings - dye on wool






These pieces are part of on-going project to do with assymetrical buildings. The original inspiration is some photos I took when my new radiators were installed in 2003! There was something about the 3D triangular shape of the protective wrapping, the pressed card and the red colour that triggered associations with sculptural form, alternative architecture and a collapsed and threatened situation.


Photograph of radiator wrapping






I keep returning to this original idea, reinterpreting it in different media. I have been working on the litho stone in crayon, doing drawings from the photos and from my imagination, and then I extended the idea to working with dye on heavy watercolour paper.

Details of lithographs





I based the larger wall pieces (using dye on fine wool) on
these watercolours. In the process I linked to recent ideas I have had about the ancient world, and in particular the port of Ostia, near to Rome. I suppose I am a romantic, but I get very moved by the melancholy of lost vitality in cities and other places. I believe that intense activity leaves its traces somehow, even they are invisible.
Dye on paper


Reflections on play
Balquidder glen

Since completing the textile work, I have been away for a week. I went on a group retreat in the Scottish Highlands. It was a pleasure for me to meet new people and hear about their experiences. I depend upon the media quite a bit to keep up with the world, but it is no substitute for the real thing! Particularly an interesting group such as this. So if any of you in the group get as far as this blog, well, you know who you are, and thanks for your company. PS It is interesting how much I enjoy pasting up photos of "nature" on this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment