Saturday 2 January 2010

New Year 2010 and Venice Biennale













Thomas Nozkowski at Venice Biennale 2007

I was away before Christmas - in London again and visiting relatives. While I was away there was a big snowfall here in Scotland. I have now been back almost a week and have so far been unable to get my car from the driveway.

Lots of walking through ice and snow to get necessary shopping. But it is also a chance to catch up with research and studio work. I enjoy this time of year because of the quiet atmosphere. Most people are off work and it feels more acceptable just to be at home and relax.

So I am looking through papers, and found records of a trip to Venice Biennale in November 2007. This is the chance to go through my photos and notes and recollect what I saw there . This will take some time, as I keep stopping to check out the artists on the internet! There is so much information on you tube and through interviews. Thomas Nozkowski, whose work I remember very well from the Biennale, commented in an interview that he always deliberately works small in order that his paintings fit into domestic interiors rather than in large institutions.. I have never heard an artist explicitly saying that before.

Today I have also packed up some work for an exhibition in Yorkshire which starts mid-January. On Monday I can walk down to the post office! This walking, often 1 or 2 miles a day, is relaxing and is getting me fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment