Wednesday 28 April 2010

Doing what it takes

I seem to be writing the same thing over and over this week. But here goes again.

I have cancelled all my appointments this week on grounds of not wishing to spread cold. But today I drove into Edinburgh to Ikea store in order to get frames for Open Studio exhibition.

It was such a treat. An easy quiet drive, then a different world, one of relaxed free-spending folk enjoying themselves in the beautiful store. I bought some non-work things, too, like a few new mugs, plate, bowls. My own showing distinct and depressing signs of chipping and cracking so time to throw out or retire them to workshop. Also a mini standard lamp for sitting room, one which works, looks elegant and does not tip over all the time. And a letter file for desk. All things which really enhance my existence.

For a long time I have been in extreme frugal mode of non-consumerism. If something does the job, why get something else? I figured. I used to be a joyful spender, though, and today I "reverted" to that pleasure. A little bit of something new and shiny heals the soul.
I must remember to do this slightly more often. It feels so good, like a sweet reward or gift to myself.

The garden is a joy, too. There is a lot to do, but it feels this year like a friend, especially after the savage winter we have all survived.

Election fever continues. Only a week to go. I have never felt engaged by the campaigns before, but this time is different. Today my heart went out to an exhausted Gordon Brown speaking his mind about a member of public and forgetting he was still miked-up. What were his people doing to allow this? Someone will be for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment