Sunday 10 July 2016

Jupiter Artland Edinburgh










Here are a few pictures from my visit today to Jupiter Artland, near Edinburgh.
The owners of this beautiful estate were inspired by Ian Hamilton Finlay's Little Sparta, not far away in West Lothian, to make a sculpture park in their land.  They have just been pipped for Art Museum of the Year 2016 by the Victoria and Albert Museum (no shame there!).

I enjoyed the landscaping, a wonderful mixture of cultivation and wild planting and managed woodland, .  For me the art pieces were interesting and added piquancy and interest to the landscaping, but I prefer Little Sparta, which is the unique and original statement of one artist.  Other sculpture parks I have liked include Belsay in Northumberland and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment